Our Vision and Mission
Bellevue Montessori School develops an academically, socially, emotionally and culturally educated community of students within the framework of acceptance, compassion, and understanding, all in accordance with traditional Montessori curriculum and philosophy. We support each individual student in building a foundation for life-long learning in preparation for future educational endeavors.
Bellevue Montessori School offers an enlightening and nurturing Montessori environment to educate and support each individual child in reaching their full potential and inspiring a passion for learning. With this foundation, our students will go on to become positive, contributing members of their immediate and global communities.
Core Values and Beliefs
The following core values define our beliefs and values.
- That the Montessori Method of education is scientifically based and provides key opportunities for development during a child’s Sensitive Periods, Planes of Development, and during the early years when the child has an Absorbent Mind as described by Dr. Maria Montessori.
- That our authentic Montessori prepared environments are developmentally appropriate by providing hands-on learning materials, freedom of choice, a mixed-age classroom, the absence of rewards and punishments, uninterrupted work periods, and individualized instruction that supports each child’s growth.
- That diversity is a strength and that every individual is welcomed, treated with respect, and supported in their own educational journey.
- That the three basic guidelines for creating a safe space physically, emotionally, and intellectually at our school are to be respectful of others, the environment, and oneself.
- That to follow a child with learning differences might require additional expertise and implementing a specialized learning plan in addition to the Montessori curriculum.
- As young children have an Absorbent Mind, it is vital that adults in the Montessori environment model appropriate behavior and create a nurturing, peaceful, and orderly environment for the children.
- That learning happens when children work independently and exhibit concentration and repetition through the hands-on activity without adult interference.
- That for optimal growth, the whole child must be supported in their social, emotional, intellectual and physical needs. Adults can assist by being present to each child and offering kindness, empathy, and opportunities for growth specifically identified through observation of each individual child.
- That through the adult’s consistent guidelines, empathy, and trust, children will gain self-discipline and emotional self-awareness that will aid them in being intentional in their efforts to be positive members of the community, successful collaborators, and to gain inner peace in their lives.
- That freedom of choice is a force in establishing a foundation for lifelong learning by fostering intrinsic motivation, curiosity, and joy in learning.
- That our diverse population is celebrated and enriches our children’s cultural education so that they learn to value differences and listen respectfully to a variety of ideas as a step towards supporting a more peaceful world.
- That conflict resolution starts with a child learning emotional self-control, an open mind to listen to other’s experiences, and the ability to respectfully communicate one’s feelings and needs. With these skills, the child will then need guidance and practice to successfully resolve differences independently.
- That education does not start and stop at the doors of our school. It takes the whole community of family and school members working together to create an ideal learning environment for children.